Wednesday, February 17, 2010

John Wesley "My God - My Choice"

"My God - My Choice"

"Thou hidden love of God, whose height,
Whose depth unfathomed no man knows.
I see from far their beauteous light,
Inly I sigh for they repose;
My heart is pained, nor can it be
At rest, till it finds rest in thee.

The secret voice invites me still,
The sweetness of thy yoke to prove:
And fain I would: but though my will
Seems fixed, yet wide my passions rove;
Yet hindrances strew all the way;
I aim at thee, yet from thee stray.


'Tis mercy all, that thou hast brought
My mind to seek her peace in thee;
Yet while I seek, but find thee not,
No peace my wandering soul shall see;
O when shall all my wanderings end,
And all my steps to thee-ward tend!...

O Love, thy sovereign aid impart,
To save me from low-thoughted care:
Chase this self-will through all my heart.
Through all its latent mazes there:
Make me thy duteous child, that I
Ceaseless may Abba, Father, cry!...


Each moment draw from earth away
My heart that lowly waits thy call:
Speak to my inmost soul, and say,
I am thy love, thy God, thy all!
To feel thy power, to hear thy voice.
To taste thy love, be all my choice."
John Wesley
1703-91

Taken from www.transformationgarden.com

No comments: