Friday, April 23, 2010

My Daughters Grade card

Today myself and my daughter went to collect her grade card , not the rank card, because the school does not believe in giving ranks but awards grades A, B , C based on on overall assessment.I was pleased with this very system , which made me to enroll her in this school.This method doesnot differentiates students, based on marks but gives a relative measure taking into account various factors.My daughter came out beeming and then went on to collect her new books for next year .
But i was reminded of my nightmares associted with certain subjects and their respective teachers who were the cause of it.Example my fear of Maths teacher which then later developed in me fear of maths though analytically iam quite bright.
How immensely pressurizing was my school system and how scared we students were of marks, tests, assignments everything.If i were to say, though school time is reminiscient of certain wonderful memories yet in terms of the educational load its one of the most horrible times.This i have heard from many many others.
Iam glad my daughter has a choice today to opt out from such perfomance oriented pressurizing systems and is able to go for alternatives which are child friendly,
bringing out the best in them , enhancing their creativity and fostering overall development and not just marks.

No comments: