Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Hannah Senesh's poems

When i read about Hannah Senesh i was moved by her courage and integrity.I was inspired to know that a woman such a tender age as 22, so courageously marched forward into the German occupied Hungary in order to save the Jews who were to be sent to Auschwitz .She kept true to her calling, never reveled her missions when she was caught and tortured.She continued penning down lines and poems and kept singing in the ghetto where she was awaiting her trial.Truly a noble woman , a role model for youngsters.

My God, My God, I pray that these things never end,
The sand and the sea,
The rustle of the waters,
Lightning of the Heavens,
The prayer of Man.
The voice called, and I went.
I went, because the voice called.

One - two - three... eight feet long
Two strides across, the rest is dark...
Life is a fleeting question mark
One - two - three... maybe another week.
Or the next month may still find me here,
But death, I feel is very near.
I could have been 23 next July
I gambled on what mattered most, the dice were cast. I lost.

No comments: