Thursday, July 7, 2011

The plight of Canadian Natives

European colonists wiped off the Native inhabitants of Northern America in several ways which included distributing Smallpox infected blankets, seizing their Territories, --a planned genocide. The natives of the land who settled by the way of Berring Bridge , who ruled for centuries, practicing peacefully their own way of life.

It is moving, to read the feelings of the descendants of the Native, who still feel strangers in Canada, their ancestral land , when the rest of the country celebrates Canada Day.They see this as day, when their freedom was seized and not as a day of freedom and fireworks.

Every Canada Day, I reflect on the continual theft of my land and resources, on broken treaties, on the genocide of my peoples and the refusal to recognize my sovereignty........I will be commemorating the sickness, starvation and death of my ancestors, as a result of colonization and greed, to make way Canadians to have all that they have today.........


read " Our home on Native land "

No comments: