Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Grant me, O God, the heart of a child

The poem beneath echoes my prayers to God , my heart is often wearied by indifference, weighed down by burdens and worries,holds   hurts, soured by ingratitude and pained by unkind remarks, but i would like it to be one which is transparent as a fresh spring.


 "Grant me, O God,
the heart of a child,
pure and transparent as a spring;
a simple heart,
which never harbours sorrows;
a heart glorious in self-giving,
tender in compassion;
a heart faithful and generous,
which will never forget any good
or bear a grudge for any evil.

Make me a heart gentle and humble,
loving without asking any return,
large-hearted and undauntable,
which no ingratitude can sour
and no indifference can weary;
a heart penetrated by the love of Jesus
whose desire will only be satisfied in heaven.

Grant me, O Lord,
the mind and heart
of thy dear Son."
                              
    Translated from the French by
                              
                       George Appleton
www.transformationgarden.com

No comments: